FRUGAL: When a person is careful how they spend their money because they don’t have a lot of money.
- They are frugal when they grocery shop.
- She has to be frugal; she doesn’t make much money.
THRIFTY: You get creative with how you spend your money.
Thrift shop/Thrift store =Goodwill
- He is the sole provider for the family, so they have to be thrifty with their money.
- She is thrifty; she checks the newspapers for coupons every week.
CHEAP: When someone is cheap, it is a negative connotation, saying they won’t part with a little amount of money.
- They are
- He is cheap, he refused to pay a fair price for good quality work.
STINGY: “Can’t part with” (Can’t spend/give away) a cent/penny.
- He is stingy, refuses to pay extra for that service.
- They have so much money, but they are very stingy.